Welcome to our first newsletter of 2023. We’re looking forward to a big year working towards clean energy and a healthy environment for everyone in Moonee Valley and we’d love you to join us!
2022 In Retrospect
Around 30 people gathered in December to celebrate our significant achievements of 2022. We sat under a tree at the Emerald Street Reserve, drank homemade mulberry juice and celebrated milestones.
Big events in 2022 included:
- Electric Vehicle (EV) Festival
- Efficient Electric Home Expo
- Caring For Country
- MVS Maker’s Market
We successfully campaigned for more Council budget for climate action and the creation of a Climate Taskforce. We held our regular monthly community clean ups and Sustain A Valley events. With more volunteers, we could do more!
Sustain A Valley – Sat 18th Feb
Your local community eco hub on 3rd Saturday of each month.
Our theme is Caring For Country with a focus on Wildlife Gardens.
- STALLS (outside) > Dear Daisy Chain, Marby Nursery, Electrify Moonee Valley, Food Swap, Caring For Country, Community Waste Collection, Rhys.Pect.Food (to 12pm), Roving Refills Inner North (to 12pm), Indigenous Art, Kids activities & stories, Moonee Valley Repair Cafe
- TALK (Back Room) > Wildlife Friendly Gardening in Moonee Valley (11am-12pm) – book here
- DEMONSTRATION (Hall) > Basket Weaving workshop (12.30-1.30pm)
- Event details here
Clean Up Australia Day – Sun 5th Mar
Come along this Clean Up Australia Day as we care for Moonee Valley’s very own waterway, Five Mile Creek.
- 10.00am – Arrive & sign in
- 10.15am – Welcome & briefing
- 10.30-11.30am – Clean up
- 11.30-12.00pm – Litter sort, audit & weigh
- 12.00-1.00pm – Free community BBQ
Wear long pants and closed shoes. Bring gloves, hat, water & sunscreen
Event details here
You can connect with us twice a month at:
- Community Clean Ups: 1st Sunday each month – check website for locations. Dates are 5th February, 5th March, 2nd April, 7th May, 4th June, 2nd July, 6th August, 3rd September, 1st October, 5th November
- Sustain A Valley: 3rd Saturday each month at Dwell (78 St Leonards Rd, Ascot Vale). Dates are 18th February, 18th March, 15th April, 20th May, 17th June, 15th July, 19th August, 16th September, 21st October, 18th November
2 Officers + $2 Million = 4 Our Future
We’re calling for 2 officers + $2 million for climate action in the 2023/24 Council budget. But we need your help. Let us know if you can help collect signatures or host a sign on your fence, and sign, support & share our online petition => www.change.org/4OurFuture
Committee & Working Groups
Three positions are vacant and available to members. We particularly need a Treasurer to work with our bookkeeper and produce quarterly reports. Email us if you’re interested in this position or in managing projects such as the website upgrade, promotional strategy and clean ups.
- Funding from Essendon Fields to update our website (see projects below)
- Funding from Moonee Valley City Council for talks on reducing organic waste to landfill at this year’s Sustain A Valley’s
MVS is transitioning email and contact details to @mvsustainability.org.au. Look out for an email with the new details.
Our website ReV-amp project has been generously supported with $2,000 from Essendon Fields, enabling us to deliver:
- user-friendly information about our activities
- easier sign-up process
- support for volunteers and members
- online donations
- a marketing strategy
Here are some ways to connect with us as we care for Country, Climate & Community.
- Come to an event
- Become a volunteer or member
- Join our Facebook Forum
- Like our Facebook Page
- Follow us on Instagram
- Send us an email
Moonee Valley Sustainability
Let’s Be The Change
We respectfully acknowledge the traditional custodians of Moonee Valley land, the Wurundjeri Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nation, their spirits, ancestors, elders and community members past and present.
We also acknowledge the urgent need to reduce emissions by 75% by 2030 and to net zero by 2035 to play our part in limiting global temperature rise to near 1.5ºC.